Friday, July 6, 2007

Uechi-ryu: A lifetime activity

Uechi-ryu: "A Lifetime Activity"!

A good friend and Uechi-ryu teacher called me recently, asking advice regarding a gifted student he had, who was "breezing" through the Uechi curriculum in record time. The teacher's question involved rules regarding speeded-up promotions and how to teach this individual, who could memorize a kata every couple days.
Hi George,
Maybe I missed something, I did re read, but didn't catch a reply to the promotions question. I too have a couple of such students who on occasion have come to me asking to watch a kata I didn't even go over with them yet. They either have been watching more advanced students practice before and after class or read the printouts I have on my website describing the moves. I have seen parroting over the years where students learn moves in kata but have no idea what they mean. We try through bunkai to have them explore how these movements apply to the kata and basic self defense. Some get it some don't. This is where for some "gifted performers" there becomes a problem in the training. ( I have a couple of 4 year olds in a tots class who can perform kumite 3 / 4 with good form and semi powerful crisp moves but pair them up and wow it's like we are now speaking another language in doing the same kumites.)

I have categorized learning kata in 2 elements.... the mechanical element, being able to do the foot pattern and hand moves, generally knowing the mechanics, and the technical element where they now show an understanding of what each move means and does in relation to the kata or bunkai. It isn't until they can blend the mechanical and technical aspects along with good form and power that I acknowledge that they now ' know ' the kata.
Many teachers want to rush kids along and quickly promote them to keep them in the school.
The true test for how a student is progressing for their age and rank is through the Uechi ryu kids competitions, My kids miss them as they learned to use their success and failure as a measuring stick beyond the dojo.
One thing I did early on was to establish a system for awarding stripes one at a time, not 2 like the 'old days' to kids for learning certain material. They have learned to be patient and not expect quick rank and they have learned to practice more to learn the material they need to know. I think our dojos success in competition proved to the kids and parents that this method pays off.
Can a quick promotion making a 6 year old a purple or red belt be good for the child... I think not. But that's me, What do you think and how did you reply to the question about speeded up promotions?
Thanks for always posting stuff to make people think.. well some people anyway.
Steve

Hi Steve:
Thanks for the email and great tips.
GEM

No comments: