Friday, July 6, 2007

Another "Old timer"...

Hello Sensei,
I was one of your karateka back at the Mattson Academy Dojo, Its a great reminder to hear of the dojo. Chuck Kopp, and Clarence were two of my favorite teachers, I acheived the rank of Nidan, under the schooling of Sensei Jerry Serino, and have my diplomas hanging in my office stamped and signed by Master Kanei.

Wonderful memories.-I left Uechi to study TKD for 15 years and love the mix of both .My oldest daughter is also a 1st Dan in Sho To Kan. I visit Daytona in October and maybe I would book a lesson for a chance to train with you once again. You were kind to me as a 15 year old (1975) starting at such an ominous school with the levels of yourself and Sensei Cambell and all of you teachers,
I always felt welcome. It kept me positive about my training throughout my life.
THANX
Rich Johns

1 comment:

paul trickett said...

I studied with Jerry at the same time as Rich. The two things I rember about him was fast hands and a shark tatoo. When Jerry's dojo was in its prime it produced a lot of good karateka. I am sorry to hear that Rich has left the Uechi world. I used to see Brian Buckley who was part of the original crew at Jerry's school. He received his Godan about 4 years ago under Sensei Nancy Gavenda in Danvers. I wonder how many from that genre are still studying? I see Enrique Mitman's name comes up once in a while. I know Ellen (Jerry's Ex) still lives around the Boston area. She was a great Uechi practioner, great form and could fight too.I used to watch in awe when the "Big Guns" would come in for a Friday nite workout. Clarence,Ed Huff,& Tim Ford were the ones who immediately come to mind. I got to see Clarence during Buzz Durkin's Uechifest in 1999.That was an unbeleivable event. Getting to see the U.S. masters in action was something. Anyway hearing about Uechi people from the past is good for the soul. Say hello to Rich for me.