Friday, July 6, 2007

One of my early students....

George...

Funny you should write me about your online dojo program today, as I was about to send you an update on how karate is working for me as a retirement vehicle.

In a word -- well. Very well, in fact.

My doctor says I have the body of a man in his mid fifties who has taken good care of himself -- not bad for age 73!

I work out six days a week, beginning with a mile walk to get things warmed up. Then I spend thirty minutes on an elliptical trainer (MWF) or exercise bike (TTS), followed by equal time in the dojo working my way through San Chin and all the other katas, finishing up with a fourth San Chin to see if I've learned anything new each day.

I've followed this program since moving to Maine thirteen years ago. Two things make this program work well for me and my wife -- who uses a Bow Flex machine for strength training in place of karate. First is having the space in the house for all the exercise equipment and the dojo. The winters here are quite severe, and it's difficult to get out in bad weather.

Second is college level courses on DVD from The Teaching Company. Working on exercise machines without something to engage the mind is much harder than doing it following an interesting course in history, literature, music, science or many other interesting subjects offered by The Teaching Company.

The truly essential component in this kind of program is consistency. You can't succeed in a retirement exercise program working out once or twice a week. It has to something you do every day of the week.

I hope this report proves useful to you and your students. And the best of luck with your online dojo program!


Harry Brawley
Simple Works
Mount Desert, Maine

Thanks for the letter Harry. Your formula for staying fit and healthy is a good one to follow for all of old-timers. Hope to see you at one of our SummerFests. Meanwhile, stay well. GEM

No comments: