Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Students "checking-in"....

Hello George,


I did receive your ebook via your email to me. I start off each day now with a read in it. The background and flavour of the whole system is much appreciated. Also on most days I make it up to the local health club to do the Uechi exercises and kata. I live on Cape Cod now. The nearest Uechi dojo is Peter McRae in Plymouth. He runs a fine dojo, but it is a long drive for me.

You mentioned the march of time as we accumulate years of age. I’ll reach my 80th birthday in a couple of weeks. All joints and muscles work fine, thanks much to the Uechi work.

What isn’t quite so fine is memory and a bit of balance. The neurologist says “early Alzheimer’s” This is a very slow developing process, but noticeable to me. As a volunteer, I used to drive old people to their doctor appointments. After a while, I found myself getting lost trying to find their house, even with maps, so I had to give that up.

I believe the Uechi exercises help me with balance. Remembering the elements of the kata may be a helpful memory aid also.


In retirement I tried to stay active. After I left GE, I did private consulting for about 10 years until I felt my poor memory might get me in big trouble. I’m saying this because you suggested committee work.

I don’t like to lose the feeling that I can do something worthwhile. Your suggestion of “IUKF committee work” is certainly worthwhile, but I’m a little afraid to say “Sure”.

Best regards,

Millard

Hi Millard:

Pleased to hear that you are still active and aren't having any "joint" problems. Regarding that direction problem - have you considered a GPS? That way you just program the destination and let the machine tell you where to go. (I use mine all the time)

Best,

George


No comments: