Friday, July 31, 2009

From Dave Mott

Hi George,

I want to take this opportunity to congratulate you again on your very appropriate promotion to Judan. After all, you are the roots of the tree from which most North American (and beyond!) Uechi-ryu grew and blossomed. I was very happy that I could be there for this (either I'm out of the loop or it was a very well kept secret). And I really hope that when I'm 71 (barely 6 years from now!) that I can perform a kata
1/2 as good as yours! You're an inspiration.

Thanks for letting me "do my thing" at summer camp. There were a number of people who wanted to work with the coiling silk exercises and I wanted to give them time beyond the normal slots. By the way, although you listed me under Chinese martial arts, I consider the Cold Mountain Coiling Silk Exercises to be Uechi-ryu. Or at least no more Chinese than the roots of our style in Fukien. I'm not naive enough to think that the CMCSE will ever be part of the Uechi-ryu canon, but there are people who come to camp looking to learn, practice, and deepen their understanding and ability in ways such as this. Of course, the scenario training, grappling etc. will well serve an important segment of our community but most of the more mature students look for something that is, well, more mature. I'm happy to be one who offers that.

I hope that you and Susan got home safe and sound and can kick back and enjoy the rest of the summer. Bobbi and I leave on Sat. to spend August at out place out in the woods. I have a new commission for choir and instruments to compose and hope that the rain lets up so that we can also canoe and swim –as we like to do.

love to you and Susan!

David

PS Any news on the release of your new book? We're all eager.

No comments: