Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wow! Another Karate "First". . .

Sensei George.

I sure appreciate your newsletter. I admire you immensely.
Hey, I flat-lined on the operating table last week. Went in for surgery on my left ear to correct an hereditary problem that had caused substantial hearing loss. Whatever anesthesia they injected me with caused my heart to code five minutes into the operation. They gave CPR for four minutes. They later did full-body-scan tests, stress tests, ultra-sound, etc. My heart strength registered at 75...the average person's is in the 60's. And this was after all I had been through. Doctors are amazed not only at that, but the fact that I have had no soreness in the chest whatsoever. Dr. Doug Wunderly, a cardiologist in Kalamazoo and a long-time karate student of Sensei Thompson's, figures that years of karate training is the reason why. The tests show no damage was done.

Cheers,

Jim Gemmell

No comments: