Sunday, January 9, 2011

From Bob Moorman's brother. . .

George:

Many years ago, back in the 60's, a troubled young man happened into your path and you took him in, gave him a place to stay and offered him Karate training; this person went on to become a black belt and opened a school on the West Coast in Encinitas, California-where you used to visit to certify black belt candidates.

This young man was my brother Robert Moorman, or affectionately known as "Bob".

Bob passed away about a dozen years ago, leaving behind a son, Ananda, who continues to live in Encinitas.

I wanted to bring up Bob's memory to you and to express my enduring appreciation for the profound influence you had on his life.

I can see from your e-mails that you remain the warrior that I remember, even as you and I both enter a period at least beyond three score and ten.

I invite you to put some of this in your newsletter.

And again, thank you Peaceful Warrior George.

Jere Moorman/Napa/CA

4 comments:

DLSieving said...

Fond memories from a former student of Sensei Moorman in his Encinitas dojo who helped renovate the new dojo in nearby Cardiff in early 1975. I had just moved west from Massachusetts after studying Uechi Ryu under George Bosworth and Jack Summers. George Mattson paid us the honor of a visit to the Encinitas dojo in 1974 on his way to or from Okinawa and personally tested me for Green Belt.

Unknown said...

I met Bob while in high school in the late 60s
Sometime in the 70s I move to Encinitas California to be his student we were very close for many years and somewhere down the road we split

Unknown said...

We played music together traveled in a small man we all learned so much so fast A small band please let me hear from you Gerry Michael Kearns

Unknown said...

Oh wow! I just googled Bob, because this morning a friend was talking about Matthew Mconaghy (Lincoln Lawyer,etc), and I began telling the group (a breakfast meeting) about how every time I see the actor, I am reminded of my first martial arts teacher.
Hi Jere, I met you back when. I started Uechi there in the Encinitas location. I stayed until the end, and later was one of the original group to follow Steve M. and Julia L. to Dragon Form.
I taught the kids class at Cardiff for a couple years, until I got a job that made that impossible.
Uechi was fun and hard and studying there with Bob Moorman is something I will never forget!
Bill Edwards
San Diego
(now a taiji guy...Bob always said I should be doing taiji)