Saturday, March 14, 2009

More WinterFest Critique

Dear George, 

this what my first Winterfest and, after having such a good time and learning so much, I know I will be back for more WinterFests.  What a great place to train, right in the heart of Mt. Dora in the most beautiful and quaint town. 

One of the things I really liked about this camp compared to SummerFest was the intimacy of training with fewer people.  This allowed more one on one with the instructors, who were each so willing to stop and answer questions or break down a move.  Each instructor was very knowledgeable and great fun to work with…egos left at the doors, as always.

The variety of seminars was wonderful, including learning a great Bo kata with George and Joe; amazing and effective ground work (plus) taught by Roy Bedard; some intense stretching with Jerry; an interesting variation of the wauke block by Darin Ye; an awesome new kata shown and learned by Fedele; and (of course) working with George.

I liked George’s variation of the soft arm pounding, almost like sticking hands.  Very cool!  Plus, I learned a better way of blocking I had not used.  If I was closer to you, I would be sneaking over to train every chance I had. 

I will have to admit missing a bit of the seminar.  My head was elsewhere, getting ready for a Dan test, so please accept my apology for leaving out anything.  This brings me to another great learning experience I had at this Winterfest: learning how to make my worst my best.  I will have to admit that I was totally out of my comfort zone, having to test with George’s student, Tim…someone I had never worked with. It taught me about myself and enabled me to practice adapting with a different timing and slightly different application difference.  It was a great experience and one that I am thankful for.  Tim was a great partner, easy to work with, and he made me look good. 

As far as what I would like to see, I think it would be good to have a larger soft area to test on.  As I was doing my designated kata, I ended up having to transition from a raised hard foam mat to a wood deck in the middle of the kata, which breaks the flow of the kata. 

I would love to see more ground work, especially for me as a woman.  I feel like that is my Achilles heel and could greatly benefit from this.

I missed fellowshipping with some of the others after the seminar.  We were limited to how many people could fit in the restaurants and some ended up going in different directions for dinner.  How about a small party or place we can all get together after dinner on Saturday night? 

All in all, I had a blast.  Thank you George, Susan, and all who made this possible.

…I’ll be back.

Best regards,

Vicki

No comments: