Sunday, November 16, 2008

"blast from the past". . .

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Freedman
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 3:15 AM
To: gmattson@uechi-ryu.com
Subject: Hello from Maryland

George,
Just a quick note from a former Boston student. I started at the Boston dojo when I was 10 in 1967, on Saturday mornings. You were the first instructor, and Bob Campbell, a green belt, took over those classes shortly thereafter, before he left for the Navy. I eventually took over the Saturday classes with several other students and had a great time, until i left for college in New York in 1974, having earned a second degree Brown belt. I remember the Boston dojo, some of the students and family with fondness. The lessons I learned in Boston have stayed with me my entire life, and although I have married, moved to Maryland, have kids, those lessons remain invaluable. Great seeing your website, Uechi-Ryu to me is the only Karate. Glad to see you are still teaching in (semi) retirement:)

Sincerely,
Jay Freedman
=====================================
Hi Jay. . .

Good to hear from you. I'm playing golf this morning and must head for the course in a few minutes. I did want to say hello though and thank you for sending me this very kind note. I get a couple messages a month from Cambridge St dojo students and many of them (like you) still fondly remember time spent working out. Surprisingly, many still do Sanchin and other kata as part of their fitness routine. (Hope you do as well) :)

If you don't mind, I'll put your email address on my Newsletter list. Expect a monthly Uechi update, which you can cancel at any time.

Stay in touch and if you have time, drop into the forums and say hello to the Uechi community.

Best,
george

No comments: