Friday, October 19, 2007

Uechi-ryu and Goju???

Mattson Sensei,

I read the following discription at
http://www.martial-arts-info.com/137/uechi-ryu/

Martial Arts: Uechi Ryu
Uechi Ryu is one of the four original styles of karate in Okinawa. Uechi Ryu utilises many kicking and striking techniques drawn from Chinese Kempo. Uechi Ryu practices some of the Goju Ryu kata especially Sanchin, Sanseiru and Sesan. Uechi Ryu also draws other influences from Goju Ryu including low leg kicks, grappling and takedowns. Uechi Ryu is considered a hard style of karate, which is ideally suited to fighting at close range.

Origin of Uechi Ryu: Okinawa

Founder of Uechi Ryu: Uechi Kanbun (+1949)

Popularised by: George Mattson

That does not sound accurate to me. I am not trying to start an Internet Fight, but I am thinking the part about some of Uechi/Pangai-Noon kata coming out from Goju Ryu is misleading. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Osu.

E. Samuel Nieves.



You are correct Sam. The only thing Uechi and Goju share is the "names" of some kata.

Best,
George

No comments: