Thursday, July 31, 2008

More "History"

George,

Great story on gi/training attire. I just arrived back from Okinawa (I work for the Navy/Marine Corps in support of H-53 aircraft) an can attest to hot hot and HUMID it gets (and I live in North Carolina), especially in July. One of most memorable scenes was at the historic RyuKyu Village (which the video displayed practitioners practicing Uechi) where the karate exhibit showed them working out in essentially thongs on the beach (I am guessing the footage was back in the 50's/60's).

On another note, like I stated above, I am in NC on the coast where there are no Uechi Dojos (I am near Cherry Point/Camp Lejeune). I did recieve my shodan under Jack Sommers back in 1988 prior to entering adult life/college/family career. While I studied some other martial arts (Shotokan/Wing Chun/Aikido/Judo) and have respect for them, my heart has always belonged to Uechi. while my body conditioning is not where it should be, I have practiced katas somewhat regularly. Would it be possible, and would you be kind enough to take an occasional look at some katas and provide feedback, if i email them. I am mostly concerned with the 3 advanced katas:seiryu, konchin, and sanseiryu.

Respectfully,

John

No comments: